Sunday, May 17, 2009

LONG LEGS

Click here to see a map: CAPE CANAVERAL TO LISBON

To put the upcoming voyage across the Atlantic on Jay Sea Dee in
perspective, first, each and every leg is longer than any I have ever
sailed. The shortest leg is the leg from the Azores to Lisbon, about
800 nautical miles. The longest leg is the leg from Bermuda to the
Azores, about 1900 miles.

Second, I have never sailed a leg longer than I could have just
motored. Jay Sea Dee doesn't have enough fuel to get all the way from
Bermuda to the Azores.

Third, I have never been so far away from land as I will be. Being in
the middle of the Atlantic Ocean on a recreational sailboat, my
friends, will just be a hoot!

Some people wonder why I am making this voyage. People have called me
an idiot. Thanks, Miriam. People have called me daffy. Thanks for
being kinder and gentler, Fred. In reality I just wish to put an
Atlantic crossing on the list of personal pursuits, accomplished.

Craig.

No comments: